Sunday, September 14, 2008

NFL Cheerleaders?

So what's up with the NFL and Cheerleaders? Twenty-five teams currently have the sometimes scantily clad beauties dotting the sidelines or preforming at halftime. Why? Oh, I understand all you guys enjoy the eye candy, but come on this is FOOTBALL!. Cheerleaders and all that other mascot stuff that happens on the sidelines and at halftime drives me nuts. Halftime entertainment should be the local high school band, Frisbee catching dogs, and punt, pass, and kick contests. NO cheerleaders, NO motorcycle riding guys in costumes with big cowboy hats waving the Dallas Cowboy flag. Are you kidding me? Ticket prices are expensive enough. I don't need to pay to be "entertained" by anything other than the actual game.

The stadium in which I watch NFL games does not have Cheerleaders. We have fans that do not need to be prompted by pom pom waving from the field. We have intelligent fans that know when to make so much noise that the opposing team can't hear the signal count and we know when to be silent. We know how to dance in the aisles and we know how to encourage our team without Cheerleaders directing our responses. And yes we enjoy the game.

The seven team with no Cheerleaders are the Bears, Steelers, Packers, Jets, Lions, Browns and Giants. All real NFL teams... not teams that had to find some other means to get people to the stadium. I guess I come from the old school when football wasn't so much of a big entertainment business, but sports...plain and simple. And I really like it that way. It's all about the game.


Your mom

1 comment:

Mason said...

I'm a Cowboys fan, so I feel like I have to say something to support probably the most recognizable cheerleaders in the world and yeah, I'll even come to the aid of the big hat cowboy guy who rides an RV around the stadium.

I've watched games from New York (both teams), Philadelphia, and Dallas and nothing beats the spectacle of Dallas on gameday.


Pittsburgh (and most major market teams) have at least other interesting things to do and see in and around the city, Dallas has football. That's it. There is literally nothing in that city (maybe even that whole state) to do except watch and talk about football. I hate the area, but I love the homegrown fans for their dedication. Everything is ridiculous or "Texas sized" from the tailgating to the cheerleading.

I talked to many a waitress down there who aspired to be a Cowboys cheerleader when they grew up.

What I do hate however and I've got a feeling you'll agree, is how the networks feel the need to broadcast NFL games. You can't go thirty seconds without hearing or seeing a cutaway to some "expert" analysis, fantasy ranking, novelty camera/microphone shot, shiny computer graphic with a pointless stat, or if the game is on FOX, a picture of a dancing robot. Just keep the focus on the game please.