This week I continue my rant about the entertainment factor of the NFL. Football in general, be it midget league, high school, college, or professional is a big part of our American culture. It has become so much a part of our lives that you really can't ignore it. I love football and can't wait for training camps to start and I'm sad when the Super Bowl is over and I can't wait until the spring draft to get more football. Am I nuts? Maybe, but I'm certainly not alone.
How has this once simple sport that attracted mainly the male population become such big entertainment? Media coverage has gone wild and more women have found the sport. Each new NFL commissioner takes the NFL to another level. Rule changes, more rule changes, and even more rule changes have drastically changed the game. Personally I sometimes wish it wasn't such a big money game. I really enjoyed the days when you could hit the quarterback and if he didn't get up he was carted off the field and the next guy came in. It made the game less predictable and more exciting. Hit the receiver, hold the linemen, kick, spit, punch, and scratch...now that was entertainment.
Now it's much more "civil" because the players are paid too, too, much to play. You have to protect your investment and we are worried about the image of the NFL. I liked to see the bloody, battered player hobble off the field only to return the next series of downs to seek revenge. So what are we doing now? Oh yeah, making more rules to protect the players and changing the game even more. I understand the game is different and I've come to accept that it will continue to change, but oh how I long for that good old football game. They have gone so far as to fine players for flipping the bird to the fans. Oh, give me a break...so now we're even protecting the fans. Get over it people.. THIS IS FOOTBALL. or a least it used to be.
If you don't like the hitting, hand jesters made be the players, or any of drama of the game...don't watch it!!! You can change the TV channel or not attend the game. As for me ...that's why I love the game and that's the real entertainment factor of the NFL.
Your Mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment